As a free public elementary school in the Pico-Union neighborhood of Los Angeles, Equitas Academy Charter School delivers a safe and organized learning environment to students in this very economically challenged area. Since it received its charter in 2009, the school has used the “Equitas Way” to create a rigorous learning environment with a college preparatory focus.
- In the first year of operation, the school’s small administrative staff was greatly taxed by the 15-20 hours required to support board activities each month.
- The Executive Director felt the need to attend every committee meeting as well as the general board meetings, which sapped time and energy away from other mission-critical activities.
Examples from the Equitas Case Study
Board management pulls staff resources away from student-oriented activities
- “I was attending every committee meeting, preparing agendas and minutes and then doing my own preparation for the board meetings.
Clerical automation plus centralized document management delivers improved efficiency
- A BoardOnTrack Membership with it’s unique combination of web-based resources and personal, one-to-one coaching fit the bill.
Solution provides “multiple benefits”
- The CEO Evaluation has improved her communications with the board. “I really like it.My board can now give me feedback I never got before. They never would have done that without BoardOnTrack”.
Future process improvements
- “I used to do all the on-boarding myself, but now the Governance Committee takes the lead.”